It is very possible to lose weight in a simple, fast and tasty way if you discover the watermelon diet. Watermelon is rich in vitamins and apparently only benefits the body. But if this is really so, it is still worth finding out. Such a diet has its advantages and disadvantages, and in order not to run into them, you need to take a responsible approach to the problem, then you will not have to save yourself from more serious health problems instead of extra pounds.
Watermelon Diet Principles
On the one hand, the principle of the watermelon diet is simple: exclude everything from the diet except watermelon and lose weight. Eating this berry, you can really get the result.
But how positive it will be depends on several factors:
- The diet takes place during the watermelon season, in August-September. If you get carried away at another time, you can "feed" yourself nitrates and get to the hospital.
- When choosing a berry, give preference to small or medium fruits, without dents or cracks.
- If a mono diet is selected, it lasts no more than 3-5 days. Watermelon is nutritious and contains vitamins, but not enough to completely replace a full diet.
- A long watermelon diet should be accompanied by other foods: unsweetened fruits, vegetables, cereals, lean meats, fish, low-fat dairy products.
- The exit from the diet is gradual, with the daily addition of other foods, according to the principle: from lighter to heavier. It is important to monitor your calorie intake and the amount of food. A strong load on the body will reduce all efforts to nothing, and the body will be happy to stock up on additional reserves for the future. This will immediately affect the rapid return of the lost pounds.
- Before slicing the watermelon, rinse it well, this will help prevent intestinal infections.
By following the rules, with a watermelon diet, you can lose 3 kg or more in a few days. But it should be understood that initially it will not be a loss of body fat. In the first days of the diet, excess stagnant water in the cells leaves the body and, with it, toxic substances. Often such stagnation causes a slowdown in metabolism and weight gain.
Characteristics of the watermelon diet
The watermelon diet for weight loss is one of the relatively mild ones. The sweetness of the berry and the high water content it contains will allow you not to feel hungry, even if the three days there is only watermelon on the menu.
But the main feature is the ability not only to lose extra pounds in a short period. During the diet, excess fluid, toxins and toxins are removed from the body, the concentration of harmful cholesterol decreases. There is a restart of metabolic processes, the work of the digestive system and kidneys is improving.
Pay attention!If during the diet you do not feel well, exacerbation of chronic diseases, it is better to stop the diet and visit a doctor.
For effective weight loss, you should consider some of the characteristics of the watermelon diet:
- For starters, exclude sweet and salty foods and snacks, don't eat fatty foods, and stop drinking alcohol.
- For a long watermelon diet, make a menu to avoid the simultaneous intake of cheeses, fermented dairy products and eggs with berries. This combination can cause fermentation in the gastrointestinal tract with all the consequent consequences: bloating, flatulence (gas formation) and annoying stool.
- It is better if you prepare for the diet in advance: 3-4 days before the start, introduce watermelon to the menu, gradually increasing the portion, eliminate other foods, starting with the heaviest, from the diet.
- The watermelon diet lasts no more than 10-14 days. This time, subject to all the rules, it is enough to lose up to 6 kg. If a repeat course is needed, it is recommended to take it no earlier than a month later.
Benefits of the watermelon diet
The main benefit of the watermelon diet lies in the properties of the watermelon itself, or rather in its composition:
- Water - stimulates metabolic processes, improves the output of bile, normalizes the work of the excretory system, thus eliminating swelling.
- Fructose: gives energy and tones, helps relieve fatigue.
- Vitamins and minerals: watermelon contains vitamins A, C, E, PP, B vitamins, mineral salts, iron, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. This composition allows to normalize sleep, fight chronic fatigue, helps stabilize blood pressure, relieves muscle cramps and numbness in them.
- Pectins - cleanse blood vessels, reduce cholesterol levels, normalize the work of the cardiovascular system.
- Antioxidants (lycopene, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin): increase immunity, reduce the risk of developing cancer cells, have a positive effect on the hormonal system and improve heart function.
This complex of useful substances will help not only to fight overweight, but also to improve health.
The fact that watermelon is low in calories is also important: only30–40 Kcalper 100 g of pulp.
Contraindications to the watermelon diet
Despite the rich and healthy composition of the berry, the watermelon diet has several contraindications.
It is better to reject it when:
- kidney disease: they may not be able to handle a large amount of fluid;
- the presence of sand and stones in the gallbladder and kidneys;
- diabetes mellitus;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- digestive tract diseases;
- for allergies.
Even if you are completely confident in your health, it is important to keep an eye on your feelings while dieting. If you feel bad, pain due to the strict regimen, it is better to immediately refuse it and consult a doctor.
Disadvantages of the watermelon diet
Before starting a watermelon diet to lose weight, you should consider its disadvantages. In some cases, they may outweigh the benefits of the berry's beneficial properties.
Of the insignificant disadvantages, the following are distinguished:
- Seasonality.Healthy and affordable watermelons are only sold in late summer and early fall.
- It's best to diet while on vacation.The diuretic effect will create significant inconvenience during work. More serious deficiencies can have more serious consequences than problems with excess pounds.
- Watermelon has a high glycemic index (GI).These foods cause a sudden spike in blood sugar and the deposit of calories in fat stores.
- Watermelon's calorie content is low, but it's easy to fool you.If you expect 1 kg of watermelon to turn into 10 kg of body weight, you may even exceed the calorie requirement per day. For example, with a weight of 70 kg, the norm for eating berries on a mono diet will be 7 kg. It turns out: 7 x 10 x 35 = 2450 Kcal. At the same time, 2100 kcal per day is considered the norm, with a sedentary lifestyle, for a 30-year-old woman, with a height of 170 and a weight of 70 kg. So there is a risk of gaining even more weight.
- Reboot.There is a risk of nitrate overload and admission to an infectious disease hospital with severe poisoning.
- Ailments.In a hard mono-diet, discomfort and fatigue can occur due to the lack of trace elements that watermelon does not contain.
- Stomach problems.An abrupt transition from a normal diet to eating lots of watermelons can lead to gastrointestinal problems in the form of discomfort, constipation, bloating, and exacerbation of illness.
Watermelon diet options
You can come up with many watermelon diets, diversify them in some way, but only three options are common.
Monodiet about watermelons
A watermelon mono-diet is a product-based diet, that is, in this case, only watermelon is detailed on the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner during a given period. Additional water and unsweetened green tea are allowed.
Despite the health benefits of watermelon, the mono-diet is considered a rigid diet that limits the intake of all the nutrients that a person needs. It is most used as a food flush for no more than one to three days. Sometimes it lasts up to five days. It is not recommended to endure it longer, because due to the lack of essential trace elements, health can seriously deteriorate.
The advantage of the diet is the ability to cleanse the body and remove excess stagnant fluid in the body, remove puffiness.
Less: 2-3 kg will disappear, but this will not be the consumption of body fat. The weight will decrease due to the same excess water that is excreted from the body, after a few days everything will return.
It is best to use the mono diet as a fast day before switching to the main long-term diet or proper nutrition. In one day, it will not cause harm, and the body will help to restart.
Not a single watermelon
In this variation, 2 slices of rye bread are added to the main dish: watermelon for each sandwich. The diet is not very different from the previous one. The only thing that makes it different is that the feeling of fullness that the bread gives will help to stretch it for a week. Here's where the pros end: During a watermelon detox, the body still lacks vitamins.
In principle, with such a diet, you could lose up to 7 kg per week, but there is a "BUT". If you calculate the total number of calories of watermelon, calculated for one day of diet, and the same bread, this amount will significantly exceed the recommended caloric intake for weight loss.
Light diet for 7 to 10 days
Light diet for 7-10 days with a balanced menu. In addition to watermelon, the diet contains vegetables, unsweetened fruits, a small amount of cereals, and protein products. But it is important that the calories in each dish are strictly calculated, that the serving size does not exceed the recommended size, and that no additives are required. The diet is designed for 10 days, easy to maintain.
The best option for natural weight loss: the body gets everything it needs, the diet is easily tolerated.
During such a diet, you can lose up to 6 kg.
The advantage of the diet will be the ability to do physical exercise, which will help to burn fat and gradually develop the habit of eating well.
Watermelon Diet Weekly Menu
The watermelon diet menu for the week could look something like this.
- Breakfast:oatmeal in milk, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + feta + basil, seasoned with olive oil.
- Breakfast:rice porridge, tomato and a glass of juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + boiled chicken fillet + low-fat cheese, season with olive oil, add pumpkin seeds if desired.
- Breakfast:buckwheat porridge with prunes, unsweetened tea.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + tomato + cucumber + vegetables. Season with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Breakfast:brown rice with boiled beef, a glass of juice.
- Lunch:Boiled beef and berry cocktail.
- Breakfast:muesli in water, a glass of juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + melon + unsweetened grapes + plums + walnuts. Season with lemon juice.
- Breakfast:buckwheat with boiled chicken, pomegranate juice.
- Lunch:watermelon and boiled chicken fillet.
- Breakfast:Low-fat cottage cheese casserole, unsweetened tea.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + chicken fillet + prunes + walnuts. Season with vegetable oil.
In addition to the main meal, it is recommended to consume kefir or low-fat yogurt with bran or flax seeds half an hour before going to bed every day.
Stop the watermelon diet
Leaving the watermelon diet should not be abrupt.
The basic rules will be for everyone:
- do not overload the digestive system with fatty and fried foods, at least the first 3-5 days;
- Divide the daily ration into 5-6 meals and small portions;
- other dishes are added according to the principle: from simple to complex.
After a diet, it is advisable to reorganize to a proper diet, then the result achieved in a week will not only be fixed, but will also last a long time.
Watermelon Diet: Nutritionist Reviews
Let's take a closer look at nutritionist reviews on the effectiveness of the watermelon diet.
"I do not advise you to" prescribe "yourself not only watermelon, but also other diets. Each organism has individual characteristics. And what helped one person can seriously harm another. Therefore, you cannot do withoutthe consultation. The specialist will select a suitable diet for each individual. Furthermore, modern studies have shown that starvation diets do not produce the desired effect at all, and a well-formed diet is much more helpful. "
“I can't say anything good about a diet based only on watermelons: despite the benefits of vitamins, the amount of watermelon eaten, or rather the sugars it contains, will have a negative impact on health. Firstly, the kilograms of that amount of light carbohydrates won't go away, and secondly, because of the high glycemic index, it can lead to a spike in blood sugar. "